The Waiting Game Nobody Prepares You For
Company A extended an offer. It’s decent. You could accept it and be reasonably happy. But Company B is still in process, and honestly, that’s the one you really want. Their timeline is unclear. Their recruiter says “soon” without defining what that means.
You’re caught in a situation that’s more common than most job seekers realize: stalling job offer negotiations while trying to maximize your options without losing the offer you already have.
This is one of the most stressful positions in any job search. Accept too quickly and you might miss something better. Stall too long and Offer A disappears. The margins for error feel impossibly thin.
I’ve been on both sides of this situation many times. As a candidate, I’ve successfully bought time that led to better outcomes. As a hiring manager, I’ve watched candidates handle this gracefully and clumsily. The difference in approach is significant, and it matters for your professional reputation beyond this single decision.
Legitimate Reasons to Request More Time
How to ask for more time job offer situations go smoother when you have a reasonable justification. You don’t necessarily need to mention other offers. Other valid reasons exist.

Major Life Decision
“This is a significant decision that will shape my next several years professionally. I want to make sure I’m giving it the careful consideration it deserves. Would it be possible to have until [specific date] to provide my final answer?”
This framing is honest. Accepting a job is a major decision. Most employers genuinely respect candidates who think carefully rather than jumping impulsively at the first offer. It suggests you’ll be equally thoughtful about decisions once you’re on their team.
Family Consultation
“I’d like to discuss this with my family before making a commitment, particularly regarding the implications for [relocation/commute/schedule changes]. Could I have a few extra days to have those conversations?”
Employers understand that career decisions affect families. A candidate who takes their family’s input seriously demonstrates maturity and commitment to sustainable decisions. Nobody wants to hire someone who accepts impulsively and then resigns three months later because their spouse never agreed to the commute.
Reviewing Details
“I want to review the complete benefits package and offer documentation thoroughly before making my decision. I believe in understanding exactly what I’m committing to. I should have an answer for you by [specific date].”
This shows diligence about details, which reflects well on your professional character. Someone who reads contracts carefully is probably someone who’ll be careful in their actual work.
💡 Pro Tips: Always provide a specific date rather than vague timeframes like “a few more days.” Specificity shows you’re taking the process seriously and gives them a clear expectation to plan around.
How Much Time Can You Actually Get?
Delay job offer decision requests typically grant you three to seven additional business days, depending on the company’s urgency and the competitive landscape for the role.
| Company Type | Typical Flexibility | Factors That Affect It |
|---|---|---|
| Large corporation | 1-2 weeks | Structured hiring processes often accommodate longer timelines |
| Mid-size company | 1 week | Generally willing to be reasonable if you’re their top choice |
| Startup | 3-5 days | Moving fast, may have immediate needs to fill |
| High-demand role | Minimal | Strong second-choice candidates waiting in the wings |
| Senior position | 1-2 weeks | Companies expect more deliberation for bigger decisions |
Expert Advice: Asking for time repeatedly erodes trust rapidly. Request what you genuinely need once, then honor that deadline or make a decision. Multiple extensions make you seem indecisive or like you’re using them as a backup plan.
The Other Half: Accelerating Company B
While buying time job offer from Company A, you should simultaneously work to speed up Company B. This is where many candidates focus exclusively on stalling and forget they can push from the other direction too.
Contact Company B directly and honestly:
“I wanted to give you an update on my timeline. I’ve received another offer with a decision deadline of [specific date]. Your opportunity remains my strong preference, and I would hate to accept elsewhere without knowing where I stand with you. Is there any way to accelerate the process on your end?”
This isn’t manipulation or pressure. It’s information sharing that helps them prioritize. If they genuinely want you, they’ll find ways to move faster. Hiring processes have more flexibility than companies typically admit. If they can’t or won’t accelerate, that information is valuable too.
Being Realistic About Company B
Pay attention to how they respond. Enthusiastic acceleration suggests genuine interest. Vague non-commitments suggest you might not be their top choice. Use their response to calibrate your expectations.
I once spent a week agonizing over whether to accept Offer A while waiting for Company B, who kept saying “we’re moving as fast as we can.” When they finally got back to me, it was with a rejection. I’d wasted emotional energy and nearly damaged my relationship with Company A for nothing. Read the signals.
Reading the Signals
Waiting for other offers requires interpreting what Company B’s behavior actually means, not just what you hope it means.

Encouraging Signs from Company B
- They immediately work to schedule your next interview
- They give you a specific decision date
- They explicitly say “you’re a top candidate”
- They ask about your timeline and actively try to accommodate it
- Senior people reach out personally to express interest
Warning Signs from Company B
- Vague responses like “we’ll be in touch soon”
- Inability or unwillingness to provide any timeline
- No apparent urgency despite knowing you have another offer
- Your contact becomes harder to reach
- Interview process keeps adding “one more round”
If Company B isn’t responding to your deadline with urgency of their own, they may not be as interested as you hoped. That’s painful information, but it helps you make a clearer decision about Offer A.
Warning: Don’t let wishful thinking about Company B cause you to lose Offer A. A solid offer in hand is worth more than a hopeful maybe.
When Stalling Runs Out
Eventually you face a decision point. The deadline arrives and Company B still hasn’t decided. Here’s how to think through your options.
Accepting Then Backing Out
Should I accept Offer A while still hoping for Offer B?
This is ethically complicated and professionally risky. You can technically accept Offer A and then renege if B comes through, but you’ll burn the bridge with Company A permanently. In smaller industries, word travels. I’ve seen candidates develop lasting reputations as unreliable based on a single reneged acceptance.
My strong advice: if you’re not genuinely willing to work at Company A and stay for a reasonable period, don’t accept their offer. Decline gracefully and take your chances with B. Accepting as “insurance” while continuing to pursue something else is unfair to Company A and risky for your reputation.
The Transparency Option
If you’ve reached your deadline and still haven’t heard from Company B, consider full transparency with Company A:
“I want to be completely transparent with you. I’m in final stages with another company that I also have strong interest in. I don’t want to accept your offer unless I can commit to it fully and enthusiastically. Would it be possible to have until [specific date] to finalize my decision? I understand if that’s not possible, and I appreciate whatever flexibility you can offer.”
This is risky. They might withdraw the offer entirely. But it’s honest, and many hiring managers respect the candor. They’d rather know where they actually stand than have you accept half-heartedly.
For more guidance on navigating complex career decisions, explore our strategic career resources.
Communicating Throughout the Process
How you communicate during stalling matters as much as what you communicate.
Keep the Relationship Warm
While buying time, don’t go silent. Send a brief message partway through your deliberation period: “Thank you again for your patience. I’m taking this decision seriously and appreciate the time to think it through. I’ll be in touch by [date] as promised.”
This reassures them you’re engaged, not using them as a backup while pursuing something better. Silence during a stalling period can create anxiety on their end that damages the relationship.
Be Gracious Whatever Happens
If you ultimately decline Offer A, do so with genuine appreciation for the time they gave you. They extended flexibility as a courtesy. Acknowledge that: “I appreciate your patience during my decision process. After careful consideration, I’ve decided to pursue a different opportunity. Thank you for understanding, and I hope we might have the chance to work together in the future.”
You might encounter these people again. Companies merge. People change jobs. Industries consolidate. Handle every interaction as if these relationships will matter again someday, because they might.
❓ FAQ
🎯 Can I accept an offer and then back out if something better comes?
Legally, usually yes, unless you’ve signed a binding contract with penalties. Professionally and ethically, it’s damaging. It burns a bridge permanently and can follow you as a reputation issue. Only do this in genuinely exceptional circumstances, and understand the costs.
💼 Should I tell Company A that I’m waiting for Company B?
It depends on your read of the situation. Being transparent can build trust, but it can also make them feel like a backup option. Use judgment based on your relationship with them and how much time you need.
⏰ What if Company A won’t give me any additional time?
Then you need to decide with the information you have. A company entirely unwilling to give a reasonable deliberation window may be revealing something about how they’ll treat you as an employee. That said, some genuinely have urgent business needs.
📋 Is a week a reasonable amount of time to ask for?
Generally yes. One week from offer to decision is standard practice. More than two weeks starts to feel excessive without a compelling reason. Most reasonable employers accommodate a week for deliberation.
✨ How do I avoid this situation in future job searches?
Try to align timelines by being transparent with all companies about where you are in other processes. When you’re far along with one company, let others know you’re approaching decision points so they can accelerate if interested.
Final Thoughts
Stalling job offer situations test your judgment, communication skills, and professional integrity simultaneously. There’s rarely a perfect answer, only tradeoffs to navigate as thoughtfully as possible.
Buy the time you need using legitimate reasons. Work simultaneously to accelerate your preferred option. Read the signals honestly rather than hopefully. Make your decision based on real information, not wishful thinking. And handle every interaction, whether accepting or declining, with the professionalism that protects your reputation regardless of outcome.
The job search is a small world. How you handle these difficult moments echoes longer than you’d expect.
⚠️ Disclaimer: The interview strategies, sample answers, and negotiation tips provided in this guide are for educational purposes only. Hiring decisions are subjective and vary by company and industry. While these strategies are based on professional HR standards, they do not guarantee a specific job offer or result.







